Wednesday, May 9, 2012

the Radetec SpeedShot - Part 1


My Evaluation of the Radetec SpeedShot performance and Training System.

While at the Shot Show in Las Vegas Nevada, I had the good fortune of meeting up with the folks over at Radetec.  A few weeks later, they called and asked if I would evaluate their SpeedShot as I had more than 20 years of experience working with this concept.  New toy, of course I would try it out.

When the SpeedShot by Radetec arrived, they had sent two.  One of the SpeedShot’s fit for my Beretta 92fs and one for my Smith & Wesson M&P 40 full size.  They were both easy to install.

The model of Speed Shot for the Beretta 92fs featured a digital numeric display.

The model for the Smith & Wesson M&P 40 featured an LED display changing color as the round count dropped.

Both sets of grips were comparable in size to the OEM parts and the quality of the polymer and rubber on them felt solid with good workmanship. Any visible electronics on the underside of the grips was covered with a black material for protection and insulation. The batteries in the units had soldered contacts to eliminate chance of failure if the gun was dropped or suffered an impact.

The installation on both was very straight forward and went smoothly.

Installing the followers in my existing S&W magazines was simple. I did notice the capacity in my Smith & Wesson M&P dropped by one round as result of the new follower being larger than the OEM but for me, that is an acceptable exchange for the feature of being able to have indication when your gun is about to run dry. The blue polymer followers seemed robust with high quality magnets to function with the system.

A magazine for my Beretta 92fs came with those grips but the follower in that magazine was swapped into an existing 15 round magazine for testing. The magnets do stick to the inside of the magazines but do not seem to affect the function of the magazine.

Now it’s time for the evaluation.  Will post more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment